Friday 2 May 2014

our future asparagus bed

I would love to try asparagus. I know it takes a few years before you can harvest the first ones, so I wanted to set things in motion. I will not have time to plant the first ones this spring, but at least I could prepare the spot for them.

Asparagus, source: wikipedia (and hopefully my own photo posted here in the future)
With a recycled wooden sandpit border, I created the future raised bed. To suppress the grass underneath, I put some recycled garden compost bags at the bottom. I think I will have to remove these bags and the wooden border once I start planting, because the asparagus need some depth and the border will attract too many slugs.

The recycled sandpit as temporary border for my future asparagus bed
I added some good soil, but I still need to find out which type of soil and (organic) supplements are needed for asparagus. In the meantime, I already sowed some recommended pioneer plants and future companions for our asparagus:

- nasturtium
- pot marigold
- white clover
- sunflowers

These four companions will prepare the ground until I have time to plant my first asparagus plants.

Flower mandala (see earlier post) with square asparagus bed on its northern side
Other good companions, which I might consider:
- yarrow
- parsley
- strawberries
- borage
- oregano
- lupine
- petunia

I read one should avoid allium, potatoes, and garlic in an asparagus bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment