Saturday 6 September 2014

time to reflect

The only advantage of having a garden abroad is that one is forced to leave it and then can look at it from a distance and reflect on it. It was very hard for me to leave our garden in Denmark at the end of the summer and I admit my heart and soul are still there. I hope this blog will help me to get some peace inside of me and to digest, to assess, and to plan all the next moves.

What a wonderful spring and summer! The weather in Denmark has been amazingly warm and some records have been beaten. It also was surprisingly dry (except for August). While I had expected only to have to deal with humidity issues, I now had to make plans for drought spells as well! Being in our summerhouse only part of the year, this changed weather pattern turned out to become quite an extra challenge. It made me investigate expected climate change in the area and adapt some plans accordingly.

Vanessa atalanta, Atalantavlinder, Red Admiral, Admiral sommerfugl (c) Ilke Bee
After the first “stones” of the new garden were laid in April this year, I managed to come back briefly at the end of June and then a second period from end of July to end of August. Both returns after a long absence were an interesting experience with lots of surprises. I learned a lot by observing the changes, but also to let go all control and my expectations. A very positive learning curve in many ways.

I truly enjoyed taking time to observe the garden and its inhabitants. My aim is to learn to identify all the different types of butterflies, solitary bees, bumble bees, and other insects like dragonflies visiting my plants and flowers. In between, I would like to learn more about all the different wild plants present and how to encourage some of them to flourish and how to contain invasive ones. Armed with my camera, I took a lot of photos which I will analyse the coming months. While I was there, I rather spent my time outside than in books or behind a screen. Now, being back home, I will have more time to look up things and still feel a connection with my garden.   

Gonepteryx rhamni, Citroenvlinder, Common Brimstone, Citronsommerfugl (c) Ilke Bee
It is funny to read some of my previous posts now and see how much has changed for the better or worse since I wrote them. I have such a big pile of extra information, questions, photos, and notes to process that I feel a bit lost on where to begin... One post at a time? I hope some of you are willing to exchange some ideas with me on this learning curve and enjoy it as much as I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment