Monday 18 January 2016

lessons learned

Quite a lot has happened in the garden since I wrote about it last time. In the meantime, the studies, the workshops, the discussions with my fellow students, the books, and the feedback from nature gave me quite some stuff to think about. I will start with sharing some of the major conclusions so far and then come back to these topics in detail in future posts. 

So, what were the major things I learned from the permaculture design courses so far?

not all methods to protect your land against wind erosion are equally effective
1. How crucial it is to look at the wind erosion happening in most gardens and how to protect your precious top soil.  

2. How to analyse water management and turn the water into life and energy on your plot.

3. How essential it is to feed the life in the soil on a continuous basis and how to protect and cover it in order to let your own plants thrive.

4. How important biodiversity is in establishing a resilient garden with less disease and plagues.

5. How one can imitate and work with nature and even accelerate its processes and turn it into our advantage.
how to harvest water, avoid flooding, and replenish aquifers

6. How important the design is in making life easier for ourselves.

7. How crucial it is to take time to learn from nature and observe small events happening in front of your nose.


I am sure I will find some more lessons learned later on, but these were pretty impressive to me. In between some news from the garden, I hope to elaborate a bit on these findings. I feel like it will be an ongoing process of learning and feedback to and from the garden. 

Looking forward to continue the wonderful adventure in my garden. 

a fresh supply of books waiting for me!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment