Wednesday 20 January 2016

my herb spiral and the bees - part 3

How rewarding it is to build an herb spiral! If properly built and oriented, it is a showcase of the advantages of permaculture in a nutshell. Once built, your herbs thrive and need no extra water. Each little plant is situated in the right spot and microclimate to thrive and all you need to do is harvest them fresh just next to your kitchen door. The only thing, I do is to add some mulch just before the frost and to add some grass clippings once in a while. I would love to build a second one next summer, but first some extra tips and feedback

My herb spiral: day 1
In previous posts, I wrote about the steps to build one and on the building of my own herb spiral. Once you have all the materials, it is quite straightforward to build one in an afternoon.

The thermal heat of the wall warms up the soil inside and lets your Mediterranean herbs flourish. Therefore, it is important to orientate the herb spiral correctly in relation to those sun loving herbs. The stones I used are not the best: natural stones store and release more heat!

In the meantime, I learned it is even better to situate your spiral on top of concrete or a solid stone base, because - like with most heavy structures - it can start sinking in the soil in the long run. Also, the drainage is even better if build on stones. The only issue then, is how to incorporate a deep water element at the base of the spiral. In my experience, a shallow basin also works. 

My herb spiral: one year old
Finally, I love to observe the activity in and around my herb spiral. Bees, bumble bees, flies, hoverflies, butterflies, dragon flies, grasshoppers, beetles, and damsels go back and fro. The stone wall also acts as an excellent hiding place for little spiders, lady bugs, and other little insects. An ant colony provides some extra aeration and drainage in mine. I have not yet seen any activity in the bumble bee nest, but a big spider installed in front of its entrance might have something to do with it... If I ever want to see some bumble bees in there, I will need to find a way to keep the entrance free from predators.

I hope to have inspired some of you to build your own herb spiral and enjoy the harvest and activity around it!






1 comment:

  1. Som hobbybiavler kan jeg kun tilslutte mig glæden. her har det gradvist resulteret i større og større bede med sar, isop, lavendel, timian... større, mere... flere vinger❤️

    ReplyDelete